Monday, July 26, 2010

Farmer John

So if you've talked to my hubby at all lately you would know that his pride and joy right now is his garden. He's got 16 tomato plants and 10 pepper plants growing in our backyard. Keep in mind we live in military housing that does not let us put a garden in the ground. So he has them all in pots and some in a large garden box. It really is quite the set up. I tease him that he loves his tomatoes more than he loves me and the kids since he checks on his garden when he gets home from work before even coming in the house to greet us! Well, all that TLC he's been giving those plants finally paid off - we have ripe tomatoes and peppers coming out of our ears! We canned 10 pints of salsa on Saturday and will probably have canning on our agenda for the next several weekends.



Not only has he been growing a garden, John's also been making compost in the backyard. After turning over the compost pile on Saturday he came in the house with a streak of brown on his finger and asked me to smell it. I smelled it. It smelled like poo. I told him that. He got really excited and said, "I know! I made horse poo!" That's EXACTLY what it smelled like (trust me I would know). Fantastic, there's horse poo in the backyard.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

That's awesome! Wow what a great garden and yummy looking salsa.

Lisa Bunker said...

I want some, we are still waiting for tomatoes and peppers, even though my peppers for salsa are on!! it's been a really late year for our plants this year, hopefully we will have them before the snow hits! Your salsa looked yummy!!!!!!

Cheryl said...

OK John, I need to get a little educated on growing veggies in pots as that's all we can do, too. You can give me lessons in September! I was determined to do it this year, but then our Spring was so on and off this year that I just plain got discouraged that Spring was never really coming! Good job, guys! I'm impressed, as usual!

MrsKBJ said...

You guys have an awesome garden!! I love fresh tomatoes!

Cally Stephens-Nielson said...

I'm just trying to understand why you smelled it.