Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Damn Skunk

This past week has been an emotional one. Our best friends & next door neighbors moved to Mississippi on Monday. I can't even describe how much I am going to miss them. I have cried so much this past week it's ridiculous. Today I decided I needed to get out of the house and get my mind off this. I told Gabe I needed to break the funk I was in. He asked why we needed to kill the skunk. Same thing. Anyway, we're back in the house now and I'm in tears again. The empty driveway next door did it to me. I thought I would sit down and reminisce about some of my favorite memories with our friends.
  • Dana and I being pregnant at the same time - Zach and Porter were born six weeks apart.
  • Trip to Chattanooga
  • Running - Dana got me running and in shape after having Porter. I never would have done this on my own. I remember the first two miles I ran after having Porter and I thought I was going to die. She motivated me to finish a 10k, a Half Marathon, and three triathlons, as well as numerous smaller races.
  • John and Josh golfing together.
  • Game nights of Killer Bunnies and Ticket to Ride. Let's not forget Risk.
  • Sunday dinners. Seriously almost every Sunday in the summer time we would get together for dinner outside in between our two houses. Sometimes it was just us, sometimes it was the whole neighborhood, and it was always fun!
  • John escorting Josh through the temple to receive his endowment.
  • Being able to hold Zachary at the altar while he and his parents were sealed together as an eternal family.
  • Deb's visits (Dana's mom). Gabe knows her as well as he knows his own grandparents. He always looked forward to seeing Deb!
  • 4th of July - John and Josh had a lot of fun with their fireworks!
  • Dana getting my van stuck in the mud : )
  • Going out to dinner or out for icecream
  • Shopping trips to Outlets and GAP
There are so many things I know I'm forgetting, but you get the idea. We did EVERYTHING with these guys! On Monday for Family Night we hung up a map of the United States so we could show Gabe where Josh and Dana were going. I have always wanted a map to mark our travels on, but Dana gave me the great idea of tracking where our family and friends are too. So we made our friends and family the black dots. All the places Gabe has been are white dots. We look forward to tracking all of our Air Force friends on this map (we have a world map too, since Gabe already has a friend in Japan)! Oh, the joy and heartbreak the Air Force brings us! I don't think the skunk is dead quite yet. I went to Dairy Queen last night and thought of you guys. If I do that every time I miss you I'll be the size of a blimp. We gotta find that skunk. I have a feeling it's going to take a while though. Thanks for being such great friends, we miss you!

6 comments:

MrsKBJ said...

It is so hard when wonderful friends move. I only knew Dana a short time and I could just tell what a wonderful person she is. I have found the air force community is a small world. Hopefully one day you guys will live near each other again! For now modern technology (fb, blogs, ect). Are are great way to keep in touch. Also, weekly or bi weekly phone calls are great to have a little "phone date." It will be something you guys look forward to. Try to schedule it during nap time! :O)

MrsKBJ said...

Also, you are always more than welcome to join our play group. We usually meet Thurday mornings. Next week I think is my week.... maybe we can meet at the praries pool? I will get an email out early next week.

Five Wahlquist's said...

I'm crying just reading this... It is so hard! Hardest part of the air force... right there. Gabe was funny today when he was telling me all about Skunks and their smells!

J.D.Z.M.B said...

Oh, you are so sweet! This had me in tears for at least 30 min! Josh came in as I was sobbing and just turned around saying he would go get me more kleenex. He has stopped asking what's wrong me this week and just lets me cry it out (over and over and over again).

Cheryl said...

Yuh...it's a skunk and it does stinketh! So sorry, sweetie! This is a very hard one. I had a good cry with you as I read this. Through my life I have had lots of friends, but I can count on maybe less than 2 hands those who have truly crawled in my heart forever. Some of those who are most dear I will have to wait for eternity to see. The love stays forever, the pain eases but the tears still flow at times. Consider yourself a very lucky girl to have had one of those dear eternal friends in your life. Some never experience that joy! I love you! XOXO ( I bet you can find the skunk on Skype!)

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

all i can say is that moving is LAME! i seriously doubt i'm going to find anything remotely close to the amazing community we had there at wright patt. it's definitely going to be hard to beat. there are just so many great people there! i catch myself referring to us as still living there (like we're on vacation from ohio). i'm pretty sure that when it sets in that we've actually moved away from it-nearly halfway across the world, it's going to hit me as hard as it's hit you. good luck! keep your chin up! i know you can get through this. best wishes and hope things get better with time, as they always somehow seem how to. love ya!