Friday, October 30, 2009

The Halloween Curse?


Monday had a serious discussion with Gabe about not choking our friends.

Tuesday had a serious discussion with Gabe about not hitting our friends.

Wednesday wished I could have had a serious discussion with Betty Crocker. It would have gone something like this... Betty, you don't know jack about sugar cookies! The end.
I consider myself to have some pretty wicked awesome culinary skills. However, three things have gone seriously awry in my kitchen this week. Did Betty ever actually try that recipe? And, just FYI, I seriously doubt Rosie O'Donnell ever made the paper mache ghost that came out of her craft book that I made last week. Anyway, that's beside the point. Point is, I should have gotten 72 sugar cookies from dear B's recipe. We ended up with 6 frostable sugar cookies. Argh. (So if you have a good sugar cookie recipe send it my way.) Seven years of cooking and I can count on one hand the number of inedible things that have come out of my kitchen. (And I don't even have to use all the fingers on that one hand.) Until this week that is. I think I might be under some sort of Halloween cooking curse.

Thursday, alas, pumpkin carving day! I love carving pumpkins! I gutted 4 pumpkins, carved 3, and spent a total of 7 hours working on pumpkins . . . not sure if I still love pumpkins. Gabe didn't want the guts on his hands, so he painted a couple of pumpkins (and my bathroom) while I scooped guts. Last year my cousin Ashley posted a recipe on her blog for toasted pumpkin seeds and I wanted to try it out. So I carefully separated all of the seeds from the guts, smothered them in all sorts of spicy goodness, popped them into the oven, and sat down to watch The Office. The timer went off and I thought to myself, "I'll get them out of the oven as soon as this goes to commercial." Why don't commercials come on TV when you NEED one? 15 minutes later and I pulled out burnt and I mean burnt pumpkin seeds! Boo, I was so sad. I don't think I have ever burned something this bad.

Let's just hope that Saturday's Halloween Chili Cook-off goes better. I'm apologizing in advanced to my friends if I'm still under this Halloween curse.

In other news, Gabe put himself to be at 5:45 last night (he totally missed the actual carving of the pumpkins) and woke up at 5:30 this morning. Lovely. This morning we went to Old Navy to try and snag some $2 costumes. We got there 10 minutes before the store opened and were probably about the 54th person in line. By the time we got in the door ALL of the costumes were gone. No, I shouldn't lie, there were still some dog costumes.

So we headed to the running store in search of some JellyBellys for the 10k in the morning. While at the store Gabe had to go poop. He has this fear of getting poop on his shirt when he sits on the potty. So whenever he has to go poop he takes off ALL of his clothes. So picture my child running across the store heading towards the bathroom yelling, "Poo-poo! Poo-poo!" all while taking off his clothes! Ah, precious moments.
We're really trying to break the naked pooping habit before he starts preschool. Which leads to the pictures I've attached: the first is Gabe's fall foliage collage and the second is a picture of him doing some pre-school worksheets. He does at least 6 of these a day and always begs me to let him do more! This kid is SO ready for school!!!

Hope you all have a Happy Halloween!!!

6 comments:

Five Wahlquist's said...

you are a wonderful mama Rachel! who cares about the cooking... look at the amazing things that Gabe is doing!

Cheryl said...

I love his collage. Did you get him in the preschool you wanted for sure or do you have to wait for his actual b-day. I have a great easy chili recipe and several good sugar cookie ones. I think one is Jen Glissmeyers! Guaranteed to be good! I will email them! XOXO

Deb said...

Oh, Rachel, I so love to read your blogs! I can see and hear all of this happening thanks to my visit this summer with Dana and family! I smile, laugh, and can't wait to share with a friend at school about the latest Gabe adventure.(My friend is a Mom of 3 boys, so she has a great understanding!) So sorry to hear about the Halloween curse in your kitchen! Did you taste any of the burned pumpkin seeds? One of my students told me how they always burn some just for Grandpa, because that's the way he likes them! Ask Dana to share the cookie recipe she has from her Aunt Donna. It is pretty good and not so hard. I feel your pain with the cookies because it took me many years before I found one I could be successful at. Good luck with the chili and say hello to Gabe, John, and Porter! Happy Halloween. Deb

Natalie said...

Oh wow! those are quite the stories! Hope your curse is over!

Ashley said...

I am so sorry Rachel. I wanted to hear how your seeds turned out, I guess not so good. I am sure that is more my fault then yours. My recipe cooking times and ingredient amounts are not exact. You do have to keep a close eye on them and look more for the right coloring then timing. Sorry! I hope you get to taste some sometime soon so you will be up for making them again.

Tubbs Family said...

You guys were so brave to go out and run Halloween morning. I didn't venture out until 2pm! And BC sugar cookies are an epic fail in my book too! I like to blame my troubles on the full moon :-) So your curse should lift soon!!