A bushel of apples is a lot of apples. Even though Gabe happily will munch on several a day we knew we had to do something with all the apples we picked. So we started canning apple pie filling. This was the first time John and I have ever canned, so it was a learning experience. We processed three batches of pie filling and by the last batch I think we finally figured out what we were doing. Next year it should be a breeze. If you could have seen us though, I'm sure it would have been quite comical. Up to our ears in apples, John telling me how his mom used to do it and telling me how crappy the design of our ApplePeelerCorerSlicer is. Me with a fever of 101 reading the Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book while getting advice on the phone from my mom. Let me just quote Marie Ramone here, "To make the perfect meatball the secret ingredient is the love, without the love it's just a ball of meat." For Family Night on Monday we made apple crisp with our pie filling and it tasted so good, I think it must have been the love!
As a side note, THANKS to everyone for their birthday wishes and gifts. With the gift of green that I was given by many of you we purchased a carpet cleaner. John went to the store and chose it, brought it home for me, and he even cleaned the carpets for me! I had a lovely birthday thank you all.
5 comments:
so what is your recipe for apple pie filling? It looks tastey! I normal just can the apples! what are your secrets?
You look great; what a nice picture of you and Porter. It looks like a lovely day and way fun activity. Happy Birthday Rachel! Your pie filling looks divine!
I need an apple pie filling recipe! I have so many apples and empty jars and that is something my kids would eat!
Happy birthday!
Did you see my recipe for the apple crisp filling in pinkie's book?? LOVE it got it when I lived in Price...Love the smell you get in your home... They look yummy...what was your favorite apple??? xo
Gabe: You must take after me. When I use to pick apples, Grandpa Wilford,use to remark, he would make money, if he weighed me in and out each day when I came to pick apples for him each fall. Loved the fresh crisp apples, freshly picked in the fall. ...Grumpy
Post a Comment