2. As 'almost' home owners we've been spending a lot of time in Lowes and Home Depot. At first I felt like a kid in a candy store. However, as more projects get added to our 'to-do' list I'm starting to see it more like a Vegas Casino - you know, even though it keeps taking all your money you just can't help going back over and over and over again.
3. I'm tired of laundry mats. I want my washer and dryer back.
4. I'm in love with Turkish food right now. John took me to a Turkish restaurant which was brave and daring on his part since I'm pregnant. When I was pregnant with Porter he took me to a Vietnamese restaurant and I'll never touch Vietnamese cuisine again (this includes with a 10 foot pole). Same thing happened with the soup from Cafe Rio when I was preggers with Gabe. The horrid, horrid memories I have from those experiences. So the whole Turkish thing was iffy, but magically I loved it and we've even been back since. Seriously, the best food we've had since we've been in New York. If you come to visit, we'll be taking you to Ali Baba's!
5. It was strange spending New Year's Eve in New York knowing we were only two hours away from Times Square. I kept telling John, "We could still make it! If we got on a train right now, we could still make it in time!" But then he kept reminding me how we had kids . . . and how they were asleep in their beds. . . and it just wasn't going to happen. Someday maybe.
6. We did celebrate New Year's Eve by dining out at an Irish Mexican Restaurant. Interesting combo don't you think? The food over priced, but yummy. The service was crummy. I had fajitas and John had bacon wrapped pork with ratatouille. I always thought ratatouille was French . . . not Irish or Mexican, but whatever.
7. New York drivers suck.
8. New York drivers probably think Utah drivers are even worse.
9. The garbage truck comes by sometime between the hours of 4 and 6 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. However, I think they drive by everyday of the week and purposefully bang the dumpsters around just for kicks. Did I mention the dumpsters are literally in our bedroom? Okay, I know they aren't in our room, but it sure sounds that way at 4 AM.
10. I am currently in love with a hemp based soap called TOKE that I got at the Farmers Market last week. My skin has never felt so good! My husband had to explain 'toke' to me : ) We also bought pickles, cheese, and a jar of headache relief cream that come to find out does absolutely nothing for a headache.
11. I came home from church on Sunday and cried because I missed my Ohio friends so much. It's lonely here and we need to find some friends. Even Gabe keeps asking me when we are going to find friends.
12. When I asked Gabe what he thought we should name the baby he said, "If it's a boy, we'll call him Zero. If it's a girl, we'll call her One. And Mommy, just so you know, if we get a baby girl I'm totally not going to her birthday party. I'd just send her a present, because I don't like girl birthdays, unless she chooses a Star Wars party because Star Wars has a girl in it and then I'd go."
13. You know how in every area there is that one coveted school district that everyone wants to live in so their kids can attend the great schools? Well, it's no different here. So get this, the house we bought (and I kid you not) is on the wrong side of the street from those awesome schools. Yep, the street we live on is the border of two school districts and we are on the wrong side of the street. While the kids across the street are being bused to educational greatness, my child will attend a mediocre school, in a crappy school district. The school district we are in doesn't have a school bus system for the kids. Kids can ride the public transportation system if they need/want to be bused to school. Do you think I'm going to send my kindergartener to school on the city bus next year? Um, no. Luckily our house is only half a mile from the school so I can walk with Gabe and it's just a quick drive when the weather is bad. (I'm sure I'm making his school sound worse than it really is, but it's funny to be so close to the 'golden calf' and yet so far away.)
14. I cashed in all of the rewards points from our credit card the other day. It was a nice pay day. I like feeling like I'm getting free money : )
15. PEZ is obnoxious. Why can't the candy just lay flat and stay flat when I put it in the dispenser. Why doesn't PEZ sell dispensers with the candy already in it?
16. 90% of all Christmas items at Target today - wahoo! Too bad the only thing left was Justin Beiber wrapping paper. Okay, that's not true, I did get some cute gift bags for $0.19 each and the PEZ dispensers for the kids.
17. Conversation I overheard between Gabe and Porter today:
Gabe: Porter, do you want to box?
Porter: Yes, box!
(Porter runs down the hall to where the big box is thinking he and Gabe would play in the box.)
Gabe: No! No! No! Let's box!
Porter: Yes, play box!
Gabe: No, let's punch each other in the face!
18. The other day I was complaining to John about how I feel like a fat cow right now. His response, "You are NOT a fat cow. You're more like a potbelly pig."
19. I love that my husband makes me laugh - especially at myself!
20. It was above 32 degrees outside today, so I took the kids to a park to play. Gabe started playing with another boy there and pretty soon I heard him yelling at the kid, "Vamanos! Vamanos! Come on, move your frijoles!" I walked away and pretended he wasn't my kid.
Happy New Year Everyone!
2 comments:
Your blog is always great for a good laugh. I would love to come visit you in New York...maybe one of these days I'll be able to afford it! Hopefully you can move in to your home and find some friends quick! I can't imagine not knowing anyone and not having family close. I'm sure its tough. Hang in there!
Those are hilarious!!! Especially #20 - have you been reading SkippyJon Jones lately???!! :) We miss you guys sooooooooo much!! Connor asks when you guys are coming back to play. We love you guys (& your blog!)
Post a Comment