Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Baby Update

We had another ultrasound done on the baby today.  The doctor confirmed that there is a bright spot on the baby's heart.  Bright spots can be indicators of Down Syndrome or Trisomy 18, but usually there are other indicators as well.  No other red flags came up on either ultrasound which is good.  Since this is the only thing the doctors found chances are good that we will have a perfectly healthy, normal baby.  They recommended having blood work and an amniocentesis done to check for genetic abnormalities, but we declined these tests.  It's hard to know what to do.  I know many people who have had false positives with these tests.

We went through almost this exact same scenario with Porter, except the abnormality was a two vessel umbilical cord.  Which by itself, was no problem, but it's often seen in babies with chromosomal disorders.  With him we did ultrasounds every three weeks to monitor his growth, but no further genetic testing.  Thankfully, he is perfect (aside from his superhuman monkey powers), but it made for a  very anxious feeling during delivery wondering whether or not he would be okay.

What would you do?  Would you have the genetic testing done or would you just wait and see?  Obviously, we are going with the wait and see method, but I'm curious what others would do.

Side note:  We finished with the ultrasound today and the doctor was talking to us.  He wondered if we wanted to know the gender and we said we already knew it was a boy.  Shocked, he said, "What?"  He pulled backed out the ultrasound equipment to recheck the baby's gender.  Sure enough, it's still a boy, but he sure had us confused there for a minute!

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow. Crazy. That would have been a shocker if it was a girl. Ya I usually don't do those extra tests, because they don't seem beneficial, just make everyone extra nervous. I think I would do what you are doing and just keep checking and praying. If things seemed more serious I might have some further tests done if they were safe and fairly accurate, but it sounds like there isn't need. We'll keep you in our prayers.

P.S. I've been trying to stay on top of your life. I can't believe your move and pregnancy and all that you are still doing. You are amazing!

J.D.Z.M.B said...

I am not really sure what we would do, I don't think I would really know for sure unless we were in the same position. We have not had any of the testing done before and we dont plan on ever doing unless there is some need for it. We will continue sending prayers your way! Bet that Dr's appointment was an emotional ride today! Hang in there and call anytime!!!!!

Five Wahlquist's said...

You are doing just what we did. It did make a more stressful delivery but, nothing would have changed (I probably still would have been axnious during delivery anyway). We sure hope for the best!

Cally Stephens-Nielson said...

Hey Rachel! Congrats on boy #3. Boys are pretty much the best, I think. It is probably really hard not to know about that bright spot, and really confusing about whether or not to get an amniocentesis. I probably wouldn't worry too much until later in the pregnancy, if the spot gets worse. I have seen a lot of amazing things happen to babies in utero.
You will be in my prayers.

Cynthia said...

I would do the same thing you're doing. The tests would just make me all worried and may not be right anyway. It is what it is, right? You'll love the baby anyway! Although I would still be a bit worried. But it's our job as moms to be worried!

Cheryl said...

I could just say "amen"too all comments, especially Ashley's. If there were more serious indications, I might consider it. Lynne and Gil did with Emily (their baby after Chad). But she had such severe and obvious abnormalities that it helped them to be able to discuss and make good decisions in the short time they knew they'd have her. I feel good about the decision you and John are making...I feel this will just be a repeat of Porter. No sense in added anxiety. Wouldn't that have been a psych out of the Dr had said it was a girl! Big hugs coming your way!

Booth Family said...

I'm sorry you have all these ups and downs. Me personally, I wouldn't do the amnio (little too risky for me) but the blood work I might do just to be prepared. But honestly since that was the only thing they saw, I think you're doing the right thing - pray and wait and see. We'll keep you in our prayers! We miss you guys lots!!