Before we went to Salem I got some children's books from the library about the Salem Witch Trials to read to the kids. I not only wanted to teach them the history, but I wanted to focus on the importance of social tolerance and the trouble that can come from telling lies. Note to self, teaching your five year old about the witch trials and then telling him you are going to vacation where it happened . . . not the best idea. Gabe was terrified to go to Salem! After promising him there was nothing to be afraid of we set out for our adventure!
If you want to get in the mood for Halloween . . . this is the place to be!
Trying to avoid anything remotely scary we took the kids to the New England Pirate Museum. Overall, not scary, but then there were scenes like this . . .
And at one point I got scared and ended up screaming out loud. Turns out Gabe ended up being the brave one: ) With the exception of the kids each loosing a hand we managed to survive the Pirate Museum without too much trauma.
"The House of Seven Gables" by Nathaniel Hawthorne is on my list of books to read. Knowing that we would see the house that inspired the book I wanted to have actually read the book, so I started it a few days before we left . . . and well, I'm still working on it, but at least I could say I was in the process of reading it when I saw the house, right? I'll let you know how it is once I finish it : ) Here's John and I in front of the House of Seven Gables.
My boys at the Salem Maritime Historic Site.
Look out! There's pirates aboard the Friendship of Salem!







No comments:
Post a Comment