Monday, June 13, 2011

Mackinac Island

On the ferry to Mackinac Island! (Although spelled differently, Mackinaw and Mackinac are pronounced the same way.)
I love lighthouses and this is probably one of my all time favorites.
So what makes Mackinac Island special? There are NO cars or motorized vehicles on the island. Everyone gets around by horse, bike, or on foot! Mackinac was the second National Park created in the US (Yellowstone was the first). The Federal Government later gave the park to the state of Michigan and it is now a state park.

Here's Porter checking out one of the horse drawn carriages.
We took our bikes over on the ferry and this is how we got around the island.
Here's John biking on the only state highway that prohibits cars. I took this picture while riding my bike. Do I have skills or what? Should I mention I nearly ran off the road? It's tough to ride a bike while looking through a viewfinder.
Main Street
How could we walk past one of these phone booths and not take a picture?
Playing on one of the beautiful beaches.
Gabe throwing a rock the size of his head.
Arch Rock
Island Churches
Mackinac Island is famous for their fudge. After a long day spent biking and hiking fudge just didn't sound refreshing, so we went for ice cream instead. (We bought the ice cream in a fudge shop, does that count?)

4 comments:

Richard said...

Memories................

Cheryl said...

Oh!!! I hope maybe we can make this trip with you someday! I have always wanted to go there and it seems like it wouldn't be a bad place to return! Love ya!

J.D.Z.M.B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.D.Z.M.B said...

Love all the pictures! We would have opted for ice cream too!