Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Chickens!!!

When we were home shopping in Oklahoma one of the requirements we made sure our realtor met was we only looked at homes that would allow us to have chickens in the yard.  I kid you not, every home we saw the first thing we'd ask is "can we have chickens here?"  The summer heat has finally let up a bit, so this past week I went to work on building a chicken coop.  This old jungle gym was already in the yard when we bought our house.  It's old and the kids haven't played on it much, so I asked them if I could turn it into a chicken coop.  They agreed, so I got busy working!

THE BEFORE
My construction helpers
The boys always want to help me paint and this was the perfect project for them to help with.   
AND THE COOP IS ALL DONE!
All the materials we used came from the old playset or from stuff we had laying around the garage.  The only thing we purchased for the chicken coop is the chicken wire, 1 gallon of paint, and a sheet of tin for the roof.  The actual chickens were the most expensive thing we bought : )
 
We have four Orpington pullets (teenage chickens).  Now we are just anxiously waiting for them to start laying eggs!
Thanks to the chicken coop project our trampoline now has a really cool slide : )
We've been working on names for the chickens, but so far only one has been named.  Her name is Dragon (courtesy of Porter).  The other large buff one we call "The One That's Not Dragon."  You know like Voldemort, as in, "he who shall not be named."  
The two white ones have not been named yet, because we can't tell them apart.  I'm thinking about just calling them Lunch and Dinner, but that seems like were jumping the gun a bit.  So for now, they are just being called "the little white ones" : )
Now lay some eggs girls!!!!


 
OUR FIRST EGG!!!!!

No comments: